Big news about! By April 4, 2022, the federal government will transition away from using the DUNS Number as the authoritative entity identification number. This transition will move us to the new Unique Entity ID (SAM), or ‘UEI,’ for entity identification of federal awards government-wide. While as of right now, the DUNS number is still authoritative, the Unique Entity ID (SAM) is available; however, it is not yet authoritative. If you’re curious, you can log into your existing SAM registration to see your UID!

Today, the two identifiers appear side-by-side in these IAE systems:

  • Electronic Subcontracting Reporting System (eSRS)
  • Federal Funding Accountability and Transparency Act (FFATA) Subaward Reporting System (FSRS)
  • Contractor Performance Assessment Reporting System (CPARS)
  • Federal Awardee Performance and Integrity Information System (FAPIIS)
  • Federal Procurement Data System (FPDS)

What is Entity Identification?

Entity identification in federal awards (grants, loans, contracts, etc.) means a unique set of numbers and letters used to identify every entity seeking to do business with the federal government. Currently, and through April 3, 2022, the federal government uses the DUNS Number, assigned by Dun & Bradstreet. On April 4, 2022 and moving forward, the federal government will use the Unique Entity ID (SAM), or “UEI” assigned by

What Do I Need to Do?

The short answer is: Nothing. Federal contractors and assistance recipients registered in do not need to take any action. Your Unique Entity ID (SAM) has been assigned and is visible in your registration at

Longer answer: if you are a subcontractors or subrecipient using the DUNS Number for reporting, you will need to get a Unique Entity ID (SAM) at no later than April 3, 2022. You can get this number now or at any time until then, and you do not need to complete an entity registration in to do so.

Until April 3rd, you need to get your DUNS Number from Dun & Bradstreet before you can request a Unique Entity ID (SAM). This is something the PTAC can help with! It is important that you enter your entity information exactly as it is reflected on your Dun & Bradstreet record when you request your Unique Entity ID (SAM).

All sub-awardee records in eSRS and FSRS have been updated with a Unique Entity ID (SAM). The DUNS Number will remain in the records until April 4, 2022, when it will be removed. Prime contractors can look up a sub-awardee in eSRS or FSRS using the DUNS Number until April 4th. After that point, you must use the Unique Entity ID (SAM) to look up an entity.

CPARS and FAPIIS also display both the DUNS Number and the Unique Entity ID (SAM) at this time. Either can be used for search. Again, as of April 4th, search will only support the Unique Entity ID (SAM).

In FPDS, you can look up an entity’s Unique Entity ID (SAM) until April 4th using the lookup field. After that point, any entity searches by ID must be done using the Unique Entity ID (SAM). Users of the FPDS Atom feed already have the version they will need (1.5.2).

On April 4th, the DUNS Number will be removed from all IAE systems and the Unique Entity ID (SAM) will be the authoritative entity identifier.

Help is Available with

As always, the PTAC is here to help with any questions about this or any other government contracting issues. Click here to get in touch.

About the author: Janean was raised in the mountain west of Montana and Wyoming and is passionate about helping small businesses succeed in navigating the exciting world of government contracting. Janean has a background in compliance, training, Human Resources, and Equal Employment Opportunity. She and her family love the Wyoming outdoors, traveling around the state for youth hockey, and then coming home to watch the Great British Baking Show.


Related Posts

Get Started Today

Contact your local small business advisor today for no-cost, confidential assistance

Accessibility Information

All Wyoming SBDC Network programs and services are provided to the public on a nondiscriminatory basis. Reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities will be made if requested at least two weeks in advance. Language assistance services for clients with limited English proficiency will be provided. Contact: Jill Kline at (307) 766-3405 or [email protected]
Funded in part through a Cooperative Agreement with the U.S. Small Business Administration.

Se habla español

   Copyright © 2022-2023 Wyoming SBDC Network